Friday, July 14, 2006

I'm Mad as Hell...

...and I'm not going to take it anymore!

This is the most famous part of the movie Network, which I have seen only in pop culture references on VH1. However, it proves to be a great line for me this week, as well as several other knitbloggers.

So, I'm learning a new skill at work. We use this program that rates you, on a scale of 1 (utterly incompetent) to 7 (you are God himself). The number 4 is used as the minimum acceptable level. There are 18 different skills to rate me on a daily basis. (The old tv show The Prisoner comes to mind here- I am not a number!) When I have 4 days of all 4's, I can pass my test and do my new skill alone. (And get a pay raise, woot!). You can imagine how nerve-racking that last week is- will I get a 4? Does that last mistake count? It was an accident. Shoot.... now I have to start over!

This frustration is compounded by the "coach" who guides you through and rates you daily. My last coach decided it would be a good idea to mark me down for following known policy, because he didn't think the particular job "called for it". Take a minute to soak that in. Go on, I'll wait. Getting marked down in the catergory "decison making" for following policy correctly. Say it with me: WTF?

So, naturally, this led to some "complications". Okay, so I had a world-class freak out. I mean, I don't think I have ever been this upset in my life. Seriously. To sit there and be told that you are not following your coach's orders (that go against the rules set for this very reason) and that you need to just "get over it" when you protest the issue. This is simply Not Okay in my universe. I will be damned if I am going to be punished for following policy. In my career, I could be fired, sued or kill someone by not following policy (or heck, all three). Frankly, it was my integrity that was hurt the most. The idea that either I could sit there and take it (and be marked down every day for it), or I could stand up and say NO MORE! (Now the Simpsons line, "stand up for yourself, poindexter!" comes to mind). So I did just that. I stood up for myself, my job and my integrity. I did it with as much class (and lack of tears) that I could muster. It was hard; fighting for something that you know is right and then having to prove it to someone who's above you and has been doing it a lot longer. In the end, I won a couple of battles and what I consider what was going to be a war. Take it from me- there is no one who is more capable of standing up for themselves than you are. Even if it doesn't go your way, stand up for yourself. At least you'll be able to sleep at night.

So what else has been going on in the knitblogging world? There's some scary stuff out there. It seems everyone's been hitting the Dr's office lately. Scout's hubby just went through knee surgery. Lee Ann is going through brain surgery this week. Scary! The Keyboard Biologist's hubby is recovering from open-eye surgery ickiness. At least Mr. Etherknitter is doing well! My KSKS partner's mom is also in the hospital with chemo; I'd link you, but then I'd be giving her up. Think good thoughts for her- in the meantime, I'm sending good yarn her way! The Yarn Harlot has graciously accepted any bad universal mojo on Lee Ann's behalf. Go pay her a visit, because it would seem the Universe has taken her up on her offer. Also scary are the spider stories that are cropping up. A nest of spiders erupting inside your house? NOT OKAY!

Hopefully, we can all get through the month of July. Lord only knows what's in store for August!

And, yes, there has been knitting this week. However, the Trekking sock heel isn't working out and will need to be reknit. No, there aren't pictures. Cozy is getting pretty stagnant, so I hope to work on her some as well. Also, I finished my KSKS partner's package, now I just need to mail it out. Hooray for a weekend to finish projects!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I'm with you! July was hell! Even weatherwise! Dare we hope for a good August?

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home