Thursday, June 15, 2006

Kit it..Kit it Good!

I'm such a poor blogger! My progress has been stunted as of late, and so the all-important pictures of the WIPs have been lagging. Well, I'm whipping myself back into shape starting now!

If you're reading this, you've most likely found my blog through the Knit Sock Kit Swap KAL comments page. Maybe you're even my secret pal! If you don't meet the first two qualifications....well, hello there! Welcome!

The KAL has questions to help your pal get started, as they are wont to do. So, let's get started, shall we?

What are your favorite colors?
Blue! Then cool-spectrum colors like green, purple, white and the like. A very New-England style beachy spectrum. I also love funky colors mixed in with pink and black. But I detest Orange in nearly all its forms. Unless it's on a pumpkin.

Are you a new sock knitter? How long have you been knitting socks?
I've been knitting socks since the beginning of the year. I've knit a few pairs, and know my way around a gusset and a heel. That being said, it doesn't mean that a sock won't totally stump me. Guauge seems to be my arch nemesis at this time.

Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn?
Actually, either, depending on the color. I adore self-striping yarn, but not so much the "false fair-isle" type of patterning. I love big, bold colors and graphics.

What fibers do you prefer in sock yarn?
Mmm, wool! Alpaca is my absolute favorite. I love anything soft, squishy and warm feeling.

Where do you usually knit socks?
At work, at home, in the car (when I'm a passenger) and at other people's houses. My friends have given up the odd looks and actually expect me to have some sort of yarn tote with me when we hang out.

How do you usually carry/store small projects?
I have two options: a pink seatbelt purse tote that I carry when I go to other people's houses. It has all my notions strewn about in it, can carry patterns and books and extra yarn and needles. The other is to stuff a skein and circs into my work bag (a messenger bag) and then store it in my inbox for quick access during breaks.

What are your favorite sock knitting patterns?
The fact that stockinette in the round is just knit stitches over and over and over. Seriously, I love the look and feel of stockinette.

What are your favorite sock knitting techniques? Do you prefer circulars or dpns for sock knitting?
2 socks, toe-up, on 2 circs. I avoid DPNs because when I repeat a sock, it's never the same. Thus, they have to be done at the same time to look right! My favorite type of needles are Clover bamboo, but I also love metal circs like Addis and Susan Bates. I really dislike plastic.

What new techniques would you like to try?
I am really yearning to learn fair-isle. I have lust for the Norwegian stocking from the Folk Socks book. I look at everyone's online and just drool.

What are some of your favorite yarns?
I love Debbie Bliss! Alpaca Silk, hands down. But that's not a sock yarn. I've had love for everything between Knitpicks and Trekking XXL. If its soft and it's pretty, it goes home with me. I just can't help myself!

What yarn do you totally covet?
Currently, I'm dying to touch the new Debbie Bliss silk yarn. I have wanted to make the bolero in her new book forever. I've never had the opportunity to fondle Lorna's Laces, Socks that Rock, Malabrigo, or anything that's super fancy. It just doesn't grow at my LYS tree!

Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object?
Actually, I'd just buy yarn, books and patterns like there was no tomorrow. Regardless of knitting them. Because you never know when they'll discontinue a type of yarn or when the urge to knit a really complicated and over-the-top lace shawl will hit. I love having a library and stash to shop in.

If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be?
I'd be simple and honest, super soft with a bit of pizazz thrown in. Maybe a basic alpaca with some silk or bamboo to shine. And in a rich, deep, vibrant color. Probably worsted weight.

Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack?
Haribo gummy bears! You can get them at Wal-Mart, World Market and such. They are the best gummy bears IN THE WORLD!

What’s your favorite animal?
Dogs. Hands down. Especially those of hound decent, like Beagles and Bassett Hounds. I love those ears!

Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages?
No, but I lust after everyone elses. Watch your pets, people!

If you were a color what color would you be?
Blue! Like the sky on a hot summer day. A shining, vibrant blue.

Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s)..
It's one I made. It's called a "craig shirt". Lots of my friends have variants of them. It has a picture of my friend Craig when he got yeast in his eye while making his own beer. It states below, "who shot that guy?" I've stopped conversations and an entire meeting while wearing it. People read it aloud, cock their head to the side and look puzzled. It's hilarious.

Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read.
"There he is!"- Pagoda in The Royal Tenenbaums
Also, just about anything from Jon Stewart on politics. I can't get enough of that guy.

Do you have a wishlist?
Are you kidding? I can't even make a birthday list for my family each year. It's too much decision-making for me to handle.

Anything else you’d like to share with the group today?
I think I've shared enough already! But do share if you would like to hear more!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodie said...

Found your blog from the Yarn Harlot. I'm a fellow Eugene knitter. Just stopped by to say hello.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home